Mariposa County Fire Department Call LogMCFD call log consists of twelve stations located throughout the Mariposa community responding to countywide incidents. Monday, February 24 thru Sunday, March 2
EMS - 9Fire - 4 Public Assist - 0Auto Collision - 0 Don't let the rain fool you, underneath that wet top layer is dry grass that will carry a fire far away from its initial ignition point. When burning, please give plenty of clearance away from any flammable materials including what looks to be green grass. Mariposa County Fire Department supports the county with volunteer stations in the following locations: Midpines; Cathey's Valley; Don Pedro; Mt. Bullion/Airport; Coulterville; Mormon Bar; Bridgeport (coming soon); Lushmeadows; Greeley Hill; Ponderosa Basin; Fish Camp; Hunter's Valley and Bootjack.
If you are 18 years of age and possess a valid CA driver's license, we would love to hear from you! Positions are available for fire, medical, and various support duties. No experience necessary - we will train you! We are Neighbors helping Neighbors - Help us Help you by volunteering today - please call (209) 966-4330 today for more information.
* Call the Burn Day Information Line at (209) 966-1200 to make sure it is a permissible burn day.
* Make sure your vegetation pile is a maximum of 4'x 4'.
* Clear all flammable material and vegetation within 10 feet of the edge of the pile.
* Keep a water supply close to the burning site.
* An adult should be in attendance with a shovel until the fire is out.
No burning should be undertaken unless weather conditions (particularly wind) are such that burning can be considered safe.
You can't see or smell it, but at high levels it can kill a person in minutes. Carbon monoxide (CO) is produced whenever any fuel such as gas, oil, kerosene, wood, or charcoal is burned. If these fuel burning appliances are not working properly or are used incorrectly, dangerous levels of CO can result. Hundreds of people die accidentally every year from CO poisoning. Fetuses, infants, elderly people, and people with anemia or with a history of heart or respiratory disease can be especially susceptible.
Here are some tips to stay safe:* Install a CO alarm that meets the requirements of the current UL 2034 standard.* Never use a generator or any gasoline engine- powered tool in an enclosed space.* Never burn charcoal inside a home, garage, vehicle, or tent.* Never leave a car running in an attached garage, even with the garage door open.* Never use gas appliances such as ranges/ovens, or clothes dryers to heat your home.* Do not cover the bottom of natural gas or propane ovens with aluminum foil. Doing so blocks the air flow through the appliance and can produce CO.* Never use fuel-burning camping equipment in an enclosed space unless it is specifically designed to do so and provides instructions for safe use in enclosed areas.Stay warm and stay safe!
Fireplace Safety - Proper Ash Disposal
With the onset of colder weather, we are again confronted with the problem of improper ash disposal. Many people do not realize the length of time required for ashes to cool enough for disposal. Even after several days, a pile of ashes can hold enough heat to reignite and start a fire. * Make sure there are no hot spots left in the ashes by soaking them in water or letting them sit for at least four days. * All ashes should then be stored in a fire-resistant metal container with a tight fitting cover. They should NEVER be disposed in a plastic garbage can, a cardboard box, or paper grocery bag. Never use a vacuum cleaner to pick up ashes. * The metal container should be placed away from anything that can burn. It should not be placed next to a firewood pile, in the garage, on or under a wood deck, or under a porch. * After sitting for a week in the metal container the ashes are then safe to dispose of in your trash.
Preparing for Cold Weather
It's the time of year when people are starting to use their furnaces, space heaters, fireplaces and woodstoves to keep them warm as the temperatures start to drop. Poorly maintained furnaces and alternative forms of heat are major causes of house fires and also can cause carbon monoxide poisoning.Chimneys and woodstoves should be checked annually for cracks and debris. For your furnace, an annual inspection and cleaning is recommended to check for cracks in the combustion chamber, which could allow carbon monoxide to leak into a residence.Carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless gas that is usually vented away from the furnace area. If allowed to collect, carbon monoxide can cause flu-like symptoms, disorientation, confusion and death.If using a portable space heater be sure electric circuits can handle the additional load. Putting more than one heater on the same circuit may overtax the system and cause a fire hazard.