Current smoke conditions as of 10:39 A.M.
Darker colors indicate denser smoke concentrations. The plumes may be at ground-level or high up in the atmosphere.
July 14, 2017 - The Mariposa County Health Department is reporting smoke from fires around the state is causing air quality in Mariposa County to be in the moderate range at times today. See the Mariposa County AQI Page for Air Quality information.
SMOKE LEVELS ARE EXPECTED TO VARY
REMAIN INDOORS AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE WHEN SMOKE IS PRESENT.
AVOID OUTDOOR EXERCISE WHEN SMOKE IS PRESENT
For additional information on air quality you can visit the AirNow website at http://www.airnow.gov/index.cfm?action=topics.smoke_wildfires
or the air fire smoke page at: http://smoke.airfire.org/monitoringReport/#/?monitors=Mariposa.1000&monitors=ARB.33&monitors=ARB.32&monitors=060431001&date=LATEST&productType=plotTable
For either of these sites you can scroll in on the map to Mariposa.
The triangles are monitoring sites. Their color is tied to the AQI levels below.
- Use common sense. If it looks smoky outside it’s probably not a good time to go for a run. And it’s probably not a good time for your children to play outdoors.
- If you have a heart or lung disease, if you are an older adult, or if you have children, talk with your doctor about whether, and when, you should leave the area.
- If you decide to remain:
- Consider staying indoors to avoid breathing the smoke particles.
- Run your air conditioner, if you have one.
- Keep the fresh air intake closed, and the filters clean, to prevent bringing additional smoke inside. Note: if you don’t have an air conditioner, staying inside with the windows closed may be dangerous in extremely hot weather. In these cases, seek alternative shelters.
- A swamp cooler will not provide this protection, and will pull in the smoky air from outside.
- “Masks” (especially surgical masks or wet bandanas) will not protect your lungs. If the smoke is that irritating to you, the best option is to remain indoors or temporarily re-locate.
Source: Mariposa County