Sunday, 19 April 2015
Calm Before  the Storm at the Las Mariposas Civil War Days in Mariposa on Saturday Afternoon, April 18, 2015

This troop was resting between the Civil War Re-enactment battles on the rolling hills of the Long Ranch.
More Civil War action takes place today, Sunday.
Click here for more information: Las Mariposas Civil War Days
civil-war-mariposa-2015
Published Online Since 2004

Search the Sierra Sun Times Using Keywords
'Click' For More Info: 'Chocolate Soup', Fine Home Accessories and Gifts, Located In Mariposa, California
'Click' For More Info: 'Chocolate Soup', Fine Home Accessories and Gifts, Located In Mariposa, California
'Click' For More Info: Laura Lee’s Auto Sales in Mariposa… “I can find any car you want!”
'Click' For More Info: Laura Lee’s Auto Sales in Mariposa… “I can find any car you want!”
'Click' Here For All Creatures Veterinary Hospital in Mariposa, CA
'Click' Here For All Creatures Veterinary Hospital in Mariposa, CA
‘Click’ for Mariposa Auto Trim: Get Your Glass Repaired or Replaced at ‘Mariposa Auto Trim’ in Mariposa, California
‘Click’ for Mariposa Auto Trim: Get Your Glass Repaired or Replaced at ‘Mariposa Auto Trim’ in Mariposa, California
'Click' For More Info: ‘California State Mining & Mineral Museum’ Located in Mariposa, California
'Click' For More Info: ‘California State Mining & Mineral Museum’ Located in Mariposa, California
'Click' For More Info: ‘Mariposa Museum & History Center’ Located in Historic Mariposa, California
'Click' For More Info: ‘Mariposa Museum & History Center’ Located in Historic Mariposa, California
'Click' For More Info: Foster Ace Hardware...the Helpful Place for All your Home and Hardware Needs In Mariposa, California
'Click' For More Info: Foster Ace Hardware...the Helpful Place for All your Home and Hardware Needs In Mariposa, California
'Click' For More Info: Sugar Pine Café Located in Historic Mariposa, California
'Click' For More Info: Sugar Pine Café Located in Historic Mariposa, California
'Click' For More Info: Inter-County Title Company Located in Mariposa, California
'Click' For More Info: Inter-County Title Company Located in Mariposa, California
'Click' For More Info: Butterfly Creek Winery Located in Mariposa, California
'Click' For More Info: Butterfly Creek Winery Located in Mariposa, California
'Click' here to visit Happy Burger Diner in Mariposa... "We have FREE Wi-Fi, we're Eco-Friendly & have the Largest Menu in the Sierra"
'Click' here to visit Happy Burger Diner in Mariposa... "We have FREE Wi-Fi, we're Eco-Friendly & have the Largest Menu in the Sierra"
'Click' here for more info! Host a party to earn FREE Scentsy or place an order to support a local businesswoman. Thank You!
'Click' here for more info! Host a party to earn FREE Scentsy or place an order to support a local businesswoman. Thank You!
'Click' Here to Visit: 'Yosemite Bug Health Spa'... "We provide a beautiful and relaxing atmosphere... Come in and let us help You Relax"
'Click' Here to Visit: 'Yosemite Bug Health Spa'... "We provide a beautiful and relaxing atmosphere... Come in and let us help You Relax"
  • Last Update:Sunday 19 April 2015, 06:34.

TODAY: Las Mariposas Civil War Days to be Held in Mariposa on April 17-19, 2015

Plan Your Weekend
Special Weekend Out & About Edition

Real Estate
California Association Of Realtors March 2015 Home Sales Report Finds Mariposa County Home Prices Increase 12% Year Over Year

Around the Web

ISO ratings have drastic effect on insurance premiums
And
Roasting coffee ... by bike!

Updated on Sunday at 4:42 A.M. - Daily Area News
Drought Boosts Interest In Native Plants

Mariposa Weather for Sunday, April 19, 2015
Increasing clouds today with a 20% chance of afternoon/evening showers. Today's high temp warms up to around 82 degrees. The low tonight is forecast at 51 degrees. Yosemite and the Sierra has a 30% chance of showers/T-storms today. Yesterday's high temp in Mariposa topped out at 78.3 degrees, 2.9 degrees warmer than Friday. The low temp yesterday was 49.4 degrees. Monday's high temp comes in at 81 degrees under skies that will have increasing clouds during the day as there is a 30% chance of afternoon/evening showers/T-storms over the area. Yosemite and the Sierra has a 70% chance on showers/T-storms on Monday with less than .20" expected. A slight chance of showers/T-storms for the area from Tuesday-Saturday with the best chances on Wednesday/Thursday.
More weather information...

Valley Online News.com
New:
 Clovis and Merced Detectives Make Arrest in Identify Theft Involving Cell Phones
And
Congressman Jeff Denham (R-Turlock) Advocates for Fairer, Flatter Tax Code
And
California State Senator Andy Vidak Says Majority Party Kills His Effort to Stop Hidden Gas Tax
And
UC Merced Campus Celebrates UC Natural Reserve System on Protected Lands
And
Riverbank Sheriff's Detectives Asking for Your Help in Identifying Man from Early Morning Robbery at a AM/PM Gas Station
And
Madera County Sheriff Detectives Arrest Sharlane Smith, Co-owner of Manor Grace Chapel in Madera
And
Modesto Junior College Receives Grant to Train Agriculture Irrigation Technicians
And
UC Merced Political Scientist Brad LeVeck's Study Finds Real-World Negotiators Bargain More Fairly

Photo of the Day
ferguson-slide--mariposa-canyon-skip-skyrud-300
'Click' the photo above to view a larger image!

Ferguson Project Merced River Canyon Mariposa County
This photo by Skip Skyrud shows the draping of the loose material on the top of the Ferguson Project. 
The purpose of the metal draping is to protect the workers who are working below from falling rock.


For more information on the Ferguson Project:

Archive: Sierra Sun Times: The Ferguson Rockslide Timeline (Some links may not work)
Thanks for sharing the photo Skip!

Investigation continues into Fresno gas explosion

Sierra Sun Times Daily Poll

The House has voted 240-179 to Repeal the Estate Tax (Death Tax Repeal Act of 2015). Do you agree with repealing the estate tax?

No, I do not agree with repealing the estate tax - 31.3%
Not sure I agree with repealing the estate tax - 4.2%
Yes, I agree with repealing the estate tax - 64.6%

Total votes: 48
The voting for this poll has ended

Older Poll Questions

Yesterday, California Assembly Republican Leader Kristin Olsen, of Modesto said "Government doesn’t create jobs." Is that a true statement?

No, it is not a true statement - 47.5%
Not sure, it is a true statement - 1.7%
Yes, it is a true statement - 50.8%

Total votes: 59
 Weather - Burn Day Information


The Sierra Sun Times Weather Station is located in Mariposa, California

For Complete Weather Coverage

Mariposa County
Burn Day Information

fire-ok   
Sunday, April 19, 2015
 Burn Day
Permits NOT needed for Residential
Open Burning
For More Information
Call: (209) 966-1200
CAL FIRE - Burn Information
_______________________________

Community Notice
_______________________________

Mariposa County Human Services
(RFP) Request for Proposals
for ROAD House Wellness Center

Seeking a nonprofit, community-based organization to operate a wellness center that will provide supportive services and linkages to community members,
specifically ensuring the establishment of a safe and welcoming place for adults with a full spectrum
of mental health issues from episodic to severe.

Proposals are Due by:
Friday, May 1st by 5 p.m.

('Click' here for more information)


Paint-Care-Ad-sm
_______________________________

Events
_______________________________
Mariposa-Relay-for-Life-Event

 

Civil-War-Days

4-25-15-Music-Marathon-ad

Four-Seasons-Ad

4-26-15-MSO-ad

Camp-Tweety5-17-15-Home-Tour-ad_______________________________

Mariposa-Reformed-Baptist-Church

SPCANEW SPCA Summer Hours
Tuesday through Saturday 10 to 3

“Please Spay and Neuter Your Pets”
 Mention AD above for a Discount 

CloudsRest-PetSittingDoes your dog need boarding... 
or day care? Call Trish!
Dog-Grooming-by-Tess

Catnip-Society


         Real Estate
daily-co
mariposa-sales-2

sierra-foothill-homes-sm

__________________________
  
Classified Ads
__________________________

Contact Us to Place Your Ad
 
Place 'Your' Classified Ad
on Sierra Sun Times
Email Us Today

Recent Comments

Mariposa County Sheriff Doug Binnewies Says Mariposa County Needs Deputy Candidates

The Mariposa County Supervisors listened to Mariposa County Sheriff Doug Binnewies at the February 24, 2015 supervisors meeting discuss the recent lack of acceptable candidates for hiring at the Sheriff Department.

Douglas-A.-BinnewiesSheriff Binnewies said the county cannot compete on wages with the surrounding counties and the county needs to focus and apply energy on hiring new deputies that are qualified.

The Sheriff Department is looking into classifying a new position: deputy recruit. This position would allow local candidates that live in the county and are most likely already employed in a profession in the county that are interested in a career in law enforcement to apply. The department would then pay to have the applicant(s) attend the law enforcement academy.

Sheriff Binnewies said this is very expensive as the academy is not local so they provide lodging and per diem. A main concern is they then move on to other departments for higher paying careers, as they have lost a few in the past after paying for the academy.  Apparently the department cannot contractually make the new deputy have to stay employed for the county for a certain length of time after they graduate the academy.

The Sheriff Department is looking at possibly having three positions open up in the near future as deputies move on or retire.