September 13, 2018 - In response to recent accusations that our Congressman Tom McClintock's assessment of the forests and wildfires in our County is "simplistic and naive" is not only mean-spirited, it reflects a very negative awareness of reality. It is unfortunate the Public is "showered" with such idiotic diatribe.
In response to such outrageous accusations, let's state the facts, that can be verified as the TRUTH! Over the last ten years, the combined Forest Service/DOI wildfire management appropriations have averaged $3.7 billion. Last year, they were $4.2 billion. McClintock co-sponsored and helped draft the Resilient Federal Forests Acts of 2015 and 2017, which solved the fire-borrowing problem by funding fires as any other natural disaster.
McClintock not only co-sponsored the Act, he commented that Forest management used to make us money when we auctioned off excess timber-25 percent of the proceeds went to our LOCAL governments and the other 75 percent paid for the Forest Service and then some! Environmental Laws like NEPA and ESA have added so much cost and delays to Forest Management, it ends up costing money and doesn't get done.
Evidence of Congressman McClintocks activities are on record. For one, check his legislation--2016 WIIN ACT. You will find it has made a dramatic difference in cutting the environmental review on forest thinning projects in the Tahoe Basin and breaking the gridlock these laws have created.
McClintock's opponent stated there is a hiring freeze leaving 700 vacancies in Region 5. That is not true! The President's hiring freeze EXEMPTED the Forest Service personnel. At last report Region 5 needed to fill 1,600 seasonal vacancies and have filled all but 200 which are still being hired. With all the accusations cast at Tom McClintock, in an attempt to discredit our Congressman, it is fair to take note that Jessica Morse's true ambition is to have a JOB, since she has in fact been unemployed for the past three years, while Congressman Tom McClintock has continued to represent District 4 with honesty and with Integrity!
It is again unfortunate that desperation on the part of the challenging opponent strays from the truth, but again that is apparent in today's political venue. I choose to ignore such juvenile practices of the opponent and continue on the path of evidence and truth in support of Congressman Tom McClintock!