When you do head outdoors to our state parks, be sure to share your story by participating in this year’s #InventYourAdventure contest called “Every Adventure has a Story.” Just visit your favorite state park between November 24 to 26, 2017, and post a photo or video on Instagram, telling us why that park is special to you. Valid submissions are eligible to win one of six travel backpacks ($200) provided directly from Eagle Creek. Full details, including contest rules and regulations, can be found online at www.parks.ca.gov/InventYourAdventure.
Also, for the third consecutive year, California State Parks and the Save the Redwoods League teamed up to offer free day-use admission passes at more than 40 redwoods state parks for use on #RedwoodsFriday – Friday, November 24 (Black Friday). Passes are going fast so grab yours by visiting RedwoodsFriday.org.
If you are visiting our parks for the first time, be sure to plan ahead and take some extra precautions.
Leave an itinerary of your trip with a family member or friend with information such as:
- Name and age of hikers/campers.
- Level of outdoors experience.
- Trailhead or campsite name and location.
- Time of departure and expected return.
- Information about your gear such as tent color, outerwear color and vehicle make, model, color and license plate.
- If heading to the snow, take tire chains.
- Use the buddy system – hike with a friend or family member.
- Drink and carry plenty of food and water (minimum of 1 quart every 2 hours).
- Check the weather. Weather can change instantly.
- Bring sunscreen and use it.
- Dress appropriately. Bring layers of clothing. Wear appropriate shoes such as hiking boots and close-toed shoes.
- Beware of wildlife. Never feed or touch wildlife.
Every Adventure has a Story: Share Yours with California State Parks over the Black Friday WeekendSACRAMENTO, Calif. — California State Parks knows that every adventure has a story and we encourage visitors to share their story this upcoming Thanksgiving weekend. Continuing on 2016’s successful #InventYourAdventure campaign, this year’s edition, “Every Adventure has a Story”, asks visitors to participate by sharing the story behind their favorite state park through an Instagram photo or video.
“Every Adventure has a Story” encourages the public to get outside during the holiday weekend and reconnect with loved ones and the outdoors, and share their photos, videos and stories on social media. Valid submissions are eligible to win one of six travel backpacks ($200 value) provided directly from Eagle Creek.
Here is how the “Every Adventure has a Story” contest works:
1. Visit your favorite California state park or one that you go to frequently from November 24-26, 2017.
2. Create a new post on Instagram that tells us your personal story of why that park is important to you. The post can either be a video telling the story or a photo with the story in the caption. Only one entry per user is eligible.
3. Follow @CAStateParks and @EagleCreek on Instagram and use the hashtags #Inv.entYourAdventure, #CAStateParks, and #EagleCreek.
4. The #InventYourAdventure team will then pick the six most creative stories throughout California to win travel backpacks courtesy of Eagle Creek.
Full details, including contest rules and regulations, can be found online at www.parks.ca.gov/InventYourAdventure.
Source: CA. State Parks