Sierra National Forest
Credit: Sierra National Forest file photo
May 30, 2020 - Clovis Calif., – The Sierra National Forest (SNF) issues Forest Order No. 05-15-00-20-03 to allow for the opening of three additional developed recreation sites, Huntington Lake Boat Launch, Billy Creek Picnic Site, and Willow Cove Picnic Area on the SNF.
The order does not close trails, trailheads, and general forest areas, and dispersed camping remains available and open for public use and enjoyment. Information on individual recreation sites and opportunities are available by calling your local Sierra National Forest office.
The intention of this order is to protect employees, permittees, our partners, and the health and well-being of the local communities as we begin a phased approach to opening more recreation sites.
Several crews are working to open recreation sites. This work includes removing hazard trees, brushing and sweeping the roads, cleaning sites, fire rings, and restrooms, and turning on and testing water systems. The SNF and California Land Management Co. (CLM) are working hard on the opening of sites while meeting very specific health and safety standards.
As of May 29, 2020 - the following SNF day-use recreation areas on the Bass Lake Ranger District and High Sierra Ranger District have met the guidelines of the CDC, and state and local agencies for opening:
Bass Lake Ranger District:
• Wishon Boating Site
• The Falls Picnic Site
• Lakeside Picnic Site
• Rocky Point Picnic Site
• Denver Church Picnic Site
• Little Denver Picnic Site
• Pine Slope Picnic Site
• Willow Cove Picnic Area
High Sierra Ranger District:
• Huntington Lake Boat Launch Site
• Billy Creek Picnic Site
In recognition of how important these recreation areas are to the community, county, valley, and beyond, the SNF and CLM continue to work to reopen more developed recreation sites, and picnic areas with a goal of providing full access, we ask that visitors be patient during this phased opening process.
If you do plan on visiting the SNF please be aware that:
• Trash removal is currently offered in select locations – please pack out all trash and waste
• Some toilet facilities maybe currently closed – please plan accordingly
• Avoid high-risk activities – search and rescue operations may be limited, these activities include water activities on the many rivers, streams, and lakes, and wilderness backpacking located on the Sierra National Forest. Water safety tips
• Avoid crowds - if an area is crowded, please search for a less occupied location
We would like to also remind our visitors that all SNF offices remain physically closed during this time however, we do have staff working virtually to assist with your information needs.
Office hours and phone contacts as follows:
• High Sierra Ranger District... 559-855-5355, Mon-Fri 8:00 am – 4:00 pm
• Bass Lake Ranger District... 559-877-2218, Mon-Fri 8:00 am – 4:00 pm
• Forest Supervisors Office... 559-297-0706, Mon-Fri 8:00 am – 4:00 pm
To remain informed on SNF recreational activities during COVID-19 and this transition please follow our webpage at www.fs.usda.gov/sierra , FaceBook at www.facebook.com/SierraNF , and Twitter at www.twitter.com/SierraNF . Pages are updated as current information is received.
We appreciate your cooperation in keeping our national forests safe and healthy for everyone’s use.
Source: Sierra National Forest