Nelder Grove, Sierra National Forest
Sierra Sun Times file photo
July 7, 2020 - The Sierra National Forest, Bass Lake Ranger District is seeking enthusiastic volunteer candidates to fill the position as campground host volunteer for Nelder Grove Campground. The volunteer would start July 31, 2020 and work through end of September. Volunteer is expected to work on weekends and holidays. The volunteer will be required to reside in the designated campground host campsite in Nelder Grove Campground. Per-diem is negotiable as per government regulations.
The volunteer should be able to meet the following responsibility;
• To serve as liaison between forest visitors and Forest Service.
• As the main public contact this position requires strong communication, interpersonal, and public speaking skills.
• Reports any health and safety concerns, maintenance issues, and public comments to the designated Forest Service representative.
• Will be asked to learn Forest Service policies and regulations and educate forest visitors.
• Assists the Forest Service in campground public relations, interpretive and educational activities, and special events/activities.
• Performs facility maintenance from litter pickup and stocking of restrooms to raking campsites and cleaning fire rings.
• Requires physical demands such as walking and/or bicycling on a recurring basis while inspecting and maintaining the conditions of the campground.
• Should be knowledgeable of the Nelder Grove Campground, Nelder Grove of Giant Sequoias, and the surrounding local points of interests and nearby services.
For a complete description of job duties and responsibilities please CLICK HERE.
About Nelder Grove Campground and Nelder Grove of Giant Sequoias:
Nelder Grove Campground is in a rustic-setting and does not have water or electrical utilities, so volunteers with trailers that are self-contained are highly recommended. The campground has seven campsites, (four drive-up sites and three walk-in), plus a campground host campsite across from the Interpretive Area. The Interpretive Area has several historical replicas and displays. Two restored cabins form the center of the site along with life-size replicas of cross-log and two-pole logging chutes along the original paths loggers used 100 years ago. There are several giant sequoia tree stumps in the area left by the loggers of the 1890’s. There are four hiking trails in the Nelder Grove Historic Area, all within walking distance of the campground.
The campground is located within the Nelder Grove of Giant Sequoias. The Nelder Grove of Giant Sequoias is a 1540 acre tract in the Sierra National Forest containing 106 mature Giant Sequoias intermingled in a forest of second growth pine, fir and incense cedar. Located in the center of the Sequoia Range, south of Yosemite National Park and off Sky Ranch Road (Road 632), the grove has been managed as an historical site, preserving the uniqueness and historical significance of the Giant Sequoias.
For questions and more details on duties regarding this volunteer position, please contact Cori Hayth, Recreation Technician/designated Forest Service representative, at the Bass Lake Ranger District at (559) 877-2218 Ext: 3190 or at cori.hayth@USDA.gov
Source: Sierra National Forest