November 19, 2023 - WASHINGTON, DC – Last week, U.S. Senator Jacky Rosen (D-NV) joined Senator Lindsey Graham (R-SC) and a bipartisan group of senators in introducing a resolution supporting U.S. efforts to deter Iran. The resolution recognizes that deterrence is most credible when the President keeps all options on the table to deter attacks from Iran and its proxies.
“Iran is the world’s leading state sponsor of terrorism, and its actions are destabilizing the Middle East,” said Senator Rosen. “Iran’s support has been instrumental for terrorist groups like Hamas – which carried out brutal attacks on innocent Israelis – and its proxies who attack U.S. troops and pose the greatest threat to their safety. The U.S. must continue to stand with our allies and keep pushing back on Iran’s support of terrorism and attempts to thwart regional normalization and peace.”
This bipartisan resolution:
- Supports the President’s efforts to deter the Islamic Republic of Iran, the IRGC, Hamas, Hezbollah, Ansar Allah, PIJ, and other proxies from expanding the ongoing conflict and recognizes deterrence is most credible when the President keeps all options on the table.
- Recognizes Israel’s right to self-defense and its operations to ensure Hamas can never again terrorize innocent Israelis and Palestinians.
- Encourages the President to work to secure the safe release and return of all hostages held by Hamas.
- Commends the President’s decision to position military and diplomatic assets in the region to deter escalation of the conflict by the Islamic Republic of Iran, the IRGC, Hamas, Hezbollah, Ansar Allah, PIJ, and other proxies of the Islamic Republic of Iran in Iraq or Syria.
- Recognizes that all responsible nations agree that Hamas is a terrorist organization that must be fought, dismantled, and prevented from having the capacity to further terrorize Israel and the region.
- Urges the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia and Israel, with the support of the United States, to continue diplomatic negotiations to normalize relations and establish lasting peace, prosperity, and stability in the Middle East.
Senator Rosen has been a leader in standing up to Iran. She was among the first Senators to call on the Biden Administration to refreeze $6 billion in Iranian assets currently held in Qatar. Earlier this year, Senator Rosen stood up to her own party and voted in favor of several Republican amendments to the Authorization For Use of Military Force that would combat Iranian aggression and support Israel. She has also helped introduce the bipartisan Solidify Iran Sanctions Act (SISA) to make permanent the Iran Sanctions of 1996 that would allow the President to impose sanctions on Iran’s energy sectors. Rosen also led the Senate Abraham Accords Caucus in introducing the bipartisan Maritime Architecture and Response to International Terrorism in the Middle (MARITIME) Act to counter maritime threats posed by Iran.
Source: Senator Jacky Rosen